Field of Activity
Mechatronics engineers are needed to assemble and maintain complex electromechanical machinery, plant equipment, and high-tech systems. Additional skills are also required, including mechanical engineering and training for clients and operators of these mechatronic systems. Tasks must be carried out independently at various locations – especially at installation sites, in workshops, and in the service sector – using documents and instructions. The engineers frequently work as part of a team, coordinate their work with upstream and downstream sectors, and must exhibit good communication skills.
Secondary school leaving certificate (Realschulabschluss), A-levels, or equivalent qualification, preferably with a technical focus.
Length of Apprenticeship
The apprenticeship normally lasts 3.5 years, but can be shortened by six months in exceptional cases if the apprentice is particularly skilled.
Content of the Apprenticeship
- Analysis of functional interactions in mechatronic systems
- Manufacture of mechanical subsystems
- Installation of electrical operating equipment, taking safety-related aspects into account
- Investigation of the flow of energy and information in electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic components
- Communication with the help of data processing systems
- Planning and organization of workflows
- Realization of mechatronic subsystems
- Investigation of the flow of information in complex mechatronic systems
- Planning of assembly and dismantling
- Commissioning, troubleshooting, and repair
- Preventative maintenance
- Handover of mechatronic systems to customers